Friday, February 24, 2012

Another Day on the Road

As Vocation Director I probably spend more time on the road then I do in my own bed. And although I would prefer to be serving in one of our missions, there are a lot of joys to be found on the road and walking with men interested in becoming a priest or a brother. Just last week I interviewed another excellent candidate for Glenmary. Each time that I hear someone's vocation story it is a sacred and humbling experience for me. Today I find myself in Western Kentucky visiting the mission of Scottsville, Kentucky. The exciting part about this trip to the missions is I am traveling with three men who are interested in joining our community.
Yesterday was spent at St. Meinrad Seminary and today we are visiting Glenmary priests Fr. Dennis Holly and Fr. Frank Ruff. Both of whom will share a little of their experiences in becoming Glenmary priests and the joys they have found in ministry. And as Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, S.J., said, “Joy is the most infallible sign of the presence of God.” Cardinal Timothy Dolan has used that same line and is a wonderful public example of sharing the joys of ministry. "Infectious" is the word I have heard many people use in describing Cardinal Dolan's joy.
Tomorrow we will travel to Glenmary's newest missions in Eastern Tennessee which will also be a joyous time. Glenmary has three new missions in Unicoi, Grainger and Union Counties. There we will get a chance to celebrate Sunday mass with the families in the new missions and visit with Glenmarians, Br. Craig Digmann, Br. Joe Steen and Fr. Steve Pawelk.
Please pray for these three men who are participating on this mission trip and for all those discerning their call to serve as a missioner. If you are interested in learning more about Glenmary or taking a mission trip in the future please let us know.


No comments:

Post a Comment