Sunday, August 29, 2010

Run Baby Run

Yesterday I had the chance to visit my sister and attend my nieces’ Cross-Country Meet. It was the first time in many years I had been to a meet and the first time ever that I had been to an elementary school meet. I enjoyed seeing so many children participating in the event. The race was extra exciting because the course design allowed us to watch them start the race, as well as a couple spots along the route and at the finish.

The memorable moments during the race for me was watching the enthusiasm of a number of of the children who would not necessarily be considered to be "natural athletes." One of the key elements to their strong performance had to be due to the support from people cheering them on along the route. It was phenomenal to witness over and over again the face of an 8-year-old runner transform from desperation to pure exhilaration and his or her stride return to the perfect form as he or she heard the words "Come-on Maria,” or “Lets go Johnny, you can do it, you're almost there."

A bit more encouragement and cheering on of one another is what this humble brother thinks that this world needs to help one another endure to the end of the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment