Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Who are they going to send?

The last month has been a very difficult transition for me, having to say goodbye to the many wonderful people in the mission of Danville, Arkansas. But the words I found comfort in came from Fr. James Walsh of Maryknoll who said; that the calling of a missionary was an odd one because they were called "to go to a place where [they are] not wanted, but needed, and to remain until [they are] not needed but wanted."

One persistent question that made leaving particularly difficult was when I was asked “who is Glenmary going to send in your place?” I had to explain to them that there was nobody available to send right now. Glenmary serves many missions and just didn’t have someone available at this time but there is great hope for the future. Glenmary currently has 15 students in various levels of formation, plus five more candidates who have been accepted for this coming year and three more whose applications are in process.

There is a tremendous need for more lay coworkers, brothers, sisters and priests to serve in the mission areas of the United States. Jesus words, “The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few; so ask the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his harvest" are still true today. And that persistent question I heard in Danville continues to resound with me and give me the motivation to work extra hard in my assignment as the new Vocation Director for Glenmary, I have seen firsthand the needs in the mission and desire to find good people God is calling to respond to those needs and answer the question. “Who are they going to send?”

“Those who go forth weeping, carrying sacks of seed, Will return with cries of joy, carrying their bundled sheaves. Psalm 126, 6

1 comment:

  1. Hey brother, now I remember the topic of your last blog! Saludos a la chaparrita!, que interceda por nos.

    ReplyDelete