Sunday, December 2, 2012

Happy New Year

"There will be signs in the sun, the moon, and the stars, and on earth nations will be in dismay, perplexed by the roaring of the sea and the waves" (Luke 21:25). The Scripture reading from today, the First Sunday of Advent did not appear to be very peaceful or hopeful to me after the first glance. But as I read it a second time, the line from above reminded me of  a line from the Book of Genesis; "the earth was without form or shape, with darkness over the abyss and a mighty wind sweeping over the waters" (Genesis 1:2). That comparison somehow calmed my inner soul a bit. But again, as I reflected some more I realized that this is not a time to relax and be calm. "Be vigilant at all times and pray that you have the strength to escape the tribulations that are imminent" (Luke 21:36).We are not in a waiting room passively awaiting our number to be called. Like in Genesis - something new is about to be created and we are invited to take an active participation in that new life. Now is the time to get ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment