Sunday, January 8, 2012

National Vocation Awareness Week


This week in the Catholic Church we will celebrate National Vocations Awareness Week. I think it is a great concept but one week is certainly not long enough! I don't think anyone can seriously discern their vocation whether it be as a single, married, sister, brother or priest in just a week. Therefore I propose we need to celebrate a National Vocation Awareness Year! A year, minimally, would be an adequate about of time of discernment, not saying that it is always enough or that a whole year is always necessary. I have met some men who have discerned with Glenmary Home Missioners for about a year and have been ready to join our community at that time and met others like myself who needed more time. The Good News is that the Church doesn't expect everyone to know what their vocation is by the end of this week but hopes that we become AWARE that we have a vocation. Glenmary is praying for all the men in discernment with us at our Headquarters in Our Lady of the Fields Chapel this week.
If you need any information about a vocation with Glenmary Home Missioners be sure and visit the Vocations page on our website or contact me directly for more information (dhenley@glenmary.org).

Share any ways that you celebrated this week in your parish, school or home, or any comments you heard about this week from your pastor's homily, your neighbors or any of your own in the comment box below.

Prayer To Know One's Vocation
Lord, my God and my loving Father, you have made me to know you, to love you, to serve you, and thereby to find and to fulfill my deepest longings. I know that you are in all things, and that every path can lead me to you. 
But of them all, there is one especially by which you want me to come to you. Since I will do what you want of me, I pray you, send your Holy Spirit to me: into my mind, to show me what you want of me; into my heart, to give me the determination to do it, and to do it with all my love, with all my mind, and with all of my strength righ to the end. Jesus, I trust in you. Amen

Other dates to note:
World Day for Consecrated Life Feb 5, 2012 
World Day of Prayer for Vocations Apr 29, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment