Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Saint Angela Merici

Photo of Sr Luisa Bickett OSU and I with one of our parishioners in Ohio County, Kentucky.



Angela Merici, who was born in the 15th century, founded the Company of Saint Ursula. Angela and her small group of followers dedicated themselves to further the work of God by being women of prayer and virtue. Today, thousands of Ursuline Sisters work to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ and in particular they continue to educate girls throughout the world.

"You will accomplish more by kind words and a courteous manner than by anger or sharp rebuke, which should never be used except in necessity." - Angela Merici.

Being an Alumni of Brescia University in Owensboro, Kentucky, I have a special connection to St. Angela. Brescia is a small Catholic University founded by the Ursuline Sisters. I am indebted to all of the sisters and staff associated with Brescia University for all that they taught me. And I am especially grateful for Sr. Luisa Bickett OSU who taught me so much more than I could have ever learned in school. During my formation years I worked side-by-side with her in serving the immigrant community in Glenmary's mission in rural Ohio, Kentucky.

Sr. Luisa's life and dedication to the people in the mission community continues to inspire me. Which is why I often said my favorite pass-time when we worked together was "to sit at her feet to try and learn all that she knew." I believe that one of St. Angela's quotes describes Sr Luisa and her manner of serving particularly well. “In the fulfillment of your duties, let your intentions be so pure that you reject from your actions any other motive than the glory of God and the salvation of souls.” - Angela Merici


No comments:

Post a Comment