Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Immigration

Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to a meeting in which a local Sheriff spoke about stricter enforcement of the immigration laws. It made me sick to hear him spew his anti-immigrant rhetoric and see that the 250 people in attendance were all in agreement. The disappointing news announced at the meeting was that the local mayor and the city council signed a letter to the governor stating that they support strict immigration laws, similar to Senate Bill 1070 in Arizona.

Many times we have said that the Catholic Church is the only friend an immigrant has in the missions. Instead of looking for stricter enforcement of the immigration laws, the U.S. Bishops have called for Comprehensive Immigration Reform. Basically, Comprehensive Immigration Reform respects the dignity of the person and attempts to take a holistic approach to changes to our immigration laws. More information can be found at justicefor immigrants.org.

I think I need to return to my bible and reflect on Matthew 25:44-45

"Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?"

"He will answer them, 'Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment