Friday, October 22, 2010

Daydreaming About Turkey

I realize that Thanksgiving is still a little over a month away but I have already begun to daydream about the day. For my family Thanksgiving has always been about food, family and fun but not necessarily in that order. And now that I have been in Glenmary for a number of years I have also been a regular participant in our longstanding tradition of the students gathering for Thanksgiving weekend. For the students it can be hectic time of the year to get away because they are nearing the end of the semester and usually have a backlog of papers to write, projects to finish and preparations for final exams. But it can also be the perfect time for them to get away from it all and spend some time with their brothers in the community in order to relax and find support. This year the students from St Meinrad Seminary, Divine Word College as well as all those in their year of apostolic ministry will be gathering at a quiet retreat like center in western, Kentucky. Their formators, the vocation director, a few prospects for Glenmary and some other invited guests will also be there. We will have some quality time together, share lots of laughs and plenty of good meals (I'm the cook this year). I know the menu will include turkey but may also include ugali and tamales. An odd assortment of items on one menu but we in Glenmary are a diverse group, one might even say an odd assortment of men. Gives true meaning to what my mom use to tell me "You are what you eat." For more information check out this link and watch for pictures on facebook (Hermano David Henley) afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment