Saturday, July 17, 2010

Time to Go Back

I thought when I arrived in Chicago the other day I was going to be up here in the city for two weeks. Sometimes plans change. Tuesday afternoon a parishioner from the mission in Danville, Arkansas called me to inform me that, David, his 3-year-old son had just died in a tragic accident. The training in Chicago is important but I knew my place was in Arkansas, with the family. I wanted to offer my support to the family as well as allow myself the chance to grieve the loss of this young boy who I had known for the last three years. A twelve hour drive through the night was the least I could do. At the funeral mass there was a great show of support for the family, over 400 people packed into St. Andrew Catholic Church. A very sad event but little David will continue to live on in our hearts.

As Glenmarians we grow close to the people we serve and although we can’t make it back to our former missions every week for all the weddings, baptisms or funerals, there are times that it is imperative that we return.

I hope though that the next occasion I return to visit the community in Danville, it will be for a positive event and that I will have more time to spend with the whole community.

No comments:

Post a Comment